History Facts of Guiding in Trinidad and Tobago
1914 - 1994
The first company of Girl Guides started in Port of Spain on June 8, 1914. This first meeting was held at St. Ann’s Church Hall in Oxford Street.
The first uniform was a Khaki blouse with long sleeves, a navy blue serge skirt of almost maxi length. Khaki hats, white haversack, black shoes and stockings made it complete.
Rosebuds appeared and soon came to be called Brownies
Ranger and Cadet Companies formed. Three guide companies started in San Fernando.
‘ Taps ’ was brought to Great Britain from the USA.
Three Guiders represented us at the first World Camp which was held in the grounds of Foxlease
Second Guide Company started in Tobago.
The World Magazine THE COUNCIL FIRE was started.
The World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts was instituted.
In January Lord and Lady Baden Powell spent two days in Trinidad. The Chief Guide laid the
foundation stone of Guide Headquarters. In September the Guide Headquarters, fondly called
“the Hut’' was opened.
The World Flag was designed by a Norwegian Guider.
The Thinking Day Fund was started.
The World Committee adopted their special Air Force blue uniform.
2nd Port of Spain camped in Tobago for the first time.
First Brownie Revels held
Port of Spain Committee formed
Guiders from Grenada camped at Headquarters
The uniform was a dark dress with four pockets, black shoes and stocking and a large straw hat.
Two companies held the first overseas camps for Guiders from this country as both 2nd Port of Spain and 19th Port of Spain went to camp in Grenada.
The Silver Jubilee of Guiding celebrated with a week of festivities which included Thanksgiving Services, Rallies, Sports Meeting, Cinema shows and a small intercolonial camp – two representatives from eight of the other West Indian Islands.
Special war efforts by members of the association.
First training team organized at training session to deal with tents. The training team organized a three week residential training for Guiders called CARIBIA.
The Chief Guide, Lady Baden Powell visited Trinidad
Empire Rangers week celebrated with a rally in San Fernando. A party of Padvinsters from Curacao camped at Headquarters.
The World Badge was introduced and can be worn by all Guides and Guiders.
The Chief Guide visited Trinidad
Her Royal Highness the Princess Royal, President of the British Guides visited Trinidad.
Uniforms changed to short sleeved bright blue overall and a beret, instead of a hat. Socks replaced stockings
First big contingent of 16 Guides and Rangers and 6 Guiders went to the World Camp in England, while more Guides went to the one in Canada. These camps were held to celebrate the centenary of the birth of the Founder, Lord Baden Powell.
Independence Celebrations, many Guides participated in the events held
Year of Independence – Margaret Bynoe was appointed 2nd Trinidad born Chief Commissioner
Trinidad and Tobago was accepted as an Associate Member of the World Association of Girl Guides and girl Scouts (WAGGGS) at the World Conference, in Denmark.
National Levy introduced then to pay expenses of World and Caribbean Link.
Celebrated the Golden Jubilee of Guiding in Trinidad and Tobago. Lady Baden Powell was present.
Constitution of the Trinidad and Tobago Girl Guide Association adopted by the Council.
July 8, 1969 Trinidad and Tobago Girl Guides Association accepted as a full member of WAGGGS.
First Tobago born Chief Commissioner appointed – Ms M E Cordner
“The Hut” that is Headquarters moved to 117 Henry Street, Port of Spain.
Diamond Jubilee – International Camp in Tobago – 1st presentation of the Lady Hochoy and Phyllis Anderson Awards were made to 1st Point-a-Pierre Guide Company and 1st Arouca Guide companies respectively.
The Association was awarded the Medal of Merit Gold for Youth Development
Girl Guide Headquarters moved to corner Alberto and Warren Streets, Woodbrook.